Table of Contents
The exact origin of this emblem – NATO star – is unknown. There is information that the idea of the design of the emblem and flag was offered by one of the employees of the International Secretariat.
The NATO emblem (white compass on a dark blue background) was adopted on October 4, 1953, by the North Atlantic Council as an official symbol of the North Atlantic Alliance, after which a flag-raising ceremony was held in Paris.
NATO emblem has its meaning: the circle symbolizes unity and cooperation, and the compass rose is a common way to peace, which was chosen by 19 member countries of the North Atlantic alliance.
Who became the NATO symbol generator and came up with these symbols? The motto of NATO was invented by Andre de Stark. For many years, he served as Ambassador of Belgium to NATO (1952-1976) and was an excellent diplomat. When in the 1950s, then-NATO Secretary General, Paul-Henri Spaak asked him to select a suitable motto for the North Atlantic Alliance, Andre de Stark recalled the phrase “Animus in consulendo liber”, which means “The spirit is free in the council.” He learned this phrase as a child during a trip to San Gimignano, Italy. Since then, these words adorn the meeting room of the NATO Council.
During the move of NATO headquarters to a new building erected opposite the old one on the Boulevard Leopold III in Brussels, preparations began for the transfer to the new territory of the sculpture, symbol for NATO, known as the “Star of NATO”, which since August 1971 stood at the front door in the main building of the organization.
As reported on the alliance’s website, in the coming weekend the iconic sculpture will be moved to a new location. The monument was designed by the Belgian architect Raymond Huyberechts and was conceived as a stylized compass reminiscent of a “wind rose”, intersected by two circles symbolizing Europe and North America.
The design of the sculpture, the press service of NATO, was inspired by the emblem of the alliance, which became a symbol of the organization in 1953.
The height of the monument is seven meters, as its width.
In order not to interfere with the citizens, the sculpture will be moved to the new headquarters at night, in agreement with local authorities, the press service said.